- Self-Insured Companies – The NEW GROWTH FACTOR of Medical Tourism
- FDA Approves Stem Cell Therapy Study for Spinal Cord Injuries
- A U.S. Dentist Uses Paper Clips in Root Canals
- Build Your Reputation as a Lifestyle Abroad Correspondent
- Crossing the Rubicon at 70
- PLASTIC SURGERY: BRAVERY, BRAVADO OR VANITY?
- Medical Tourism: Good Doctor – Bad Doctor Results from Hair Transplant Surgery
- American Baby-boomers in Korea
Best Doctors in Panama – Popular Medical Procedures in Panama – Price of Medical Care in Panama
Medical Tourism Report on the best doctors in Panama, Central America. In a phone interview, a leading authority on Latin America Hospitals and doctors, named three doctors in Panama as the best in their fields in Panama.
Shai Gold, CEO of International Triage, LLC, with offices in Miami, Florida; Bogotá and Cali, Colombia; and Panama City, Central America, is recognized by his professional peers for his experience in delivering international medical services in the U.S. and Latin America.
Gold is the former founding Vice President of the International Medical Services Department at Jackson Memorial Hospital in Miami, Fl. He recently opened the office in Panama located in the Punta Pacifica Medical Professional Medical Building adjacent to the Punta Pacifica Hospital affiliated with Johns Hopkins International Medicine.
You are invited to talk to Doctors by tuning in to “The Global Medical Village” – Thursdays 19:00-20:00 EST on www.OverSeasRadio.com
Named as the best doctors in Panama, in their areas of expertise are:
“Dr. Carlos Diaz-Uriola is the country’s top fertility doctor,” said Gold, “People come to him from as far as Australia! Carlos is a super, professional physician with a high percentage of success in a challenging and costly sub-specialty. It is worthwhile to travel to see him and any member of his group.”
“Dr. Ariel E. Saldana is the country’s top orthopedic surgeon. Dr Saldana trained abroad in Sports Medicine and Joint Replacement. He is very experienced and would be my choice for orthopedic procedures,” said Gold.
“Dr. Waltter Kravcio Guardia, is a leading Spinal Neurosurgeon who specializes in “virtual surgery” (bloodless, non-invasive surgery via computerized beams). Dr. Kravcio Guardia did his fellowship in Puerto Rico and UCLA. He is presently building a world-class computerized beam surgery program at Hospital Punta Pacifica. When it opens in January, 2012, it will be the only institute of its type outside the USA,” Gold said.
“Shai is right on the money in selecting the above-mentioned physicians and surgeons, says Dr. Lorena Porras, Medical Operations Director of International-Triage’s office in Panama. “In addition to those fine professionals, my “A-List” also includes the following:
Cardiology: Dr. Temistocles Diaz. Dr. Diaz trained in Panama and Spain. He practices in Hospital Punta Pacifica where he performs minimally invasive implantation of cardiac valves and other interventional cardiology procedures.
Listen as Gold and Dr. Diaz talk about what people need to understand about interventional cardiology by clicking here to download their conversation recorded live Feb. 23, 2012.
Cardiac Surgery: Dr. Pedro Echeverria. Dr. Echenerria trained in Panama and Colombia and practices in Hopsital Punta Pacifica and in Clinica Hospital San Fernando. He is a skillful surgeon with impressive outcomes.
Oncology: Dr. Julio Santa Maria is the best of the best in his field in Panama. Dr. Santa Maria is also the Vice Minister of Health. Dr. Alejandro Crismatt, is a protégé of Dr. Santa Maria. He trained in Mexico. Both are part of a five person group that is he leading Hematology-Oncology group in Panama.
Hematology-oncology / Bone Marrow Transplantation: Dr. Nathalie Buitron is the pioneering physician in this field in Panama. She trained in Panama, Mexico and Canada and is the Chief of BMT Program at the National Cancer Institute. Private patients are seen at her office at Paitilla Medical Center.
General & Colorectal Specialist: Dr. Homero Rodriguez is the Chief of the Residency program at the Social Security Hospital in Panama-City. He is a highly skilled and experienced surgeon with exceptional outcome. He practices at Patilla Medical Center and at Hospital Punta Pacifica.”
These are just a few examples of the many very good doctors who practice in Panama. It is surely an indication of the quality of care you can expect as a medical tourist or as a resident of Panama.
Popular Medical Procedures in Panama, S.A.
As for treatment options: it is pretty much “Different strokes for different folks”. We distinguish between two groups with different characteristics:
- American patients that are driven by price and or interest in non-FDA approved treatments.
- Non-American patients whose demand for service is driven by lack of availability of treatment solutions in their home countries AND price considerations.
While the practical and clinical needs of these two groups are vastly different, our service platform accommodates both groups.
In general, patients travel for the following clinical services:
1. Bariatric (weight loss) surgery
2. Orthopedic surgery
3. Neurosurgery (including virtual surgery, e.g., Gamma Knife and Cyber Knife )
4. Cancer treatment (surgery, radiation and chemo)
5. Fertility Treatment
6. Dental treatment and oral surgery
(click here for list of services offered by International-Triage )
Price of Medical Care in Panama, S.A.
Prices in Panama are more-or-less consistent with Colombia and Costa Rica, or upwards of 70% lower than same quality procedures in the USA.
“As mentioned in our book “How to Book a Successful Medical Tourism Trip”, pricing is secondary to quality outcomes,” Gold emphasized.
Also, pricing and outcomes must be evaluated in the context of travel distance from home country. To this end, Panama scores a “tri-fecta” (VERY HIGH) on our index of treatment destination choices,” said Gold.
How to Schedule your trip with International Triage (IT)
To get information about scheduling a procedure, contact IT to initiate a phone call and consultation for free. For your own peace of mind, get the information you need to make good decisions before you go: Ask about a 2nd medical opinion, or get helping planning your medical tourism trip.
Read: Best Hospitals in Panama
Let us help you find the destination for your own lifestyle and healthcare needs:
The author: Ilene Little
Ilene has written 36 posts to this blog. Ilene Little, CEO of Traveling 4 Health & Retirement (THR) understands that knowledge of quality "medical resources" is pertinent to both medical travelers and Boomers considering overseas retirement. She has written the definitive consumer guide on medical travel “How To Plan A Successful Medical Tourism Trip” - The ONLY book with advice for patients from 12 leading experts on medical tourism!
Comment this post (6 comments)
Join our Community Site
Participate in unfiltered conversations...
- Talk to patients and experts
- Ask questions anonymously
- Share your ideas and insights
Click to join
Subscribe to our newsletter
- Medical Tourism Services: Thank you for your tips provided it was really helpful. I am very much impressed
- John Scherber: After 15 months of criss-crossing Mexico, my new book looks at Americans and Canadians who’ve
- Cheryl: Dentalia is the largest chain of dental clinics in Mexico. They offer top quality materials
- Ilene Little: My philosophy is to reply offline so that I can speak w/candor and point people ...
- B. L. Bomar: Why do these posts not have replies? ...
- Turn Your Knowledge Into Passive Income During Retirement | 19/02/2014
- Stay Safe During your Travels | 29/01/2014
- Gearing Up For Retirement | 28/01/2014
- I looked 70, Now I look 50 – Plastic Surgery in Panama | 25/01/2014
- Entertainer Shows Off New Smile as First Time Dental Tourist | 21/01/2014
- How to Pick a Dentist in Mexico - Trust But Verify! | 45 comments
- Best ENT Doctor in India | 28 comments
- Questionable Medical Tourism Companies . . . a few bad apples | 12 comments
- Best Hospitals in Panama | 10 comments
- Boomer Moves to Peru For Better Retirement | 9 comments
- baby boomers (9)
- dental tourism (12)
- health care (5)
- healthcare (5)
- healthcare in mexico (4)
- health travel (9)
- international living (5)
- Lifestyles of expatriates (5)
- living abroad (10)
- Living in Mexico (5)
- medical tourism (41)
- medical tourism in Canada (5)
- medical tourism in Costa Rica (11)
- medical tourism in India (5)
- medical travel (6)
- Mexico (6)
- prostate cancer (5)
- retire in mexico (4)
- retirement (6)
- retiring abroad (5)